Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Research Study

Amy spent the night at our house last night so we could get up "really" early. We didn't want to be late for our 7:40am appointment (hence, the wake up time at 5:30am). After all the showers were taken, we were dressed and loading into the car, I "double-checked" our start time which was actually not until 8:40am....oops! We ended up being a little early but we actually hit traffic so my goof up worked out perfectly. Thanks for being another set of ears today, Amy.

After meeting with Dr. Eaton today, I realized how lucky I had been considering I have been able to avoid "standard" chemo for the past 3 years. The week following Mother's Day I will begin a research study (the drugs are standard) but the tests they do to see how the drugs are working are different. The drugs used in this study are Taxol and Carboplatin. They are chemo drugs that have been around for a long time. They have some ugly side effects (but new meds have been developed to make the side effects milder). I will lose my hair (but by the time we start the treatment I'll probably be needing a new haircut anyway).

Today was the first day I didn't feel afraid of the unknown when it came to chemo treatments. I just want a plan and now we have one. Actually, we have 3 plans (2 others that we'll try if this first one doesn't work). I'm a little anxious about the nausea and low blood counts, but I'm going to do my best to stay as healthy as possible.

Rick's chemo went as planned. He's laying down right now taking a little nap before dinner. I think I'll go join him. A nap never hurt anyone.

Dreaming Big,
Dor

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You remain in my thoughts and prayers! Your positive attitude is an inspiration to us all!
Rose Goulet

Anonymous said...

One day, one step, one thought at a time has you with us that much longer. You both are in my thoughts every day and Palm Springs definitely agreed with both of you!!! Lovely pictures!!!
Lynn Nelson