Sunday, January 20, 2008

Happy Sunday

What a nice time I had yesterday. Movie and dinner with my husband...(the movie was great, but my sweater was all wet from tears by the time I left the theater) Storyline was great, but some of it was a little close to home. Then, I went to Bunco with a whole new group of ladies (I was a sub for someone who couldn't make it). I took 2nd place and came home with a nice little bag of goodies from Victoria's Secret. Great fun. Nice company.

Here's my bucket list so far:

Drive a really fast car (preferably with the proper fire suit, seat belt, and helmet on) perhaps on a race track...This isn't about danger, it's about adrenaline.
Take a ride on a Harley Trike (it's a cute little motorcycle that won't tip over when I stop)
Visit the Greek Islands
Give more than I take...
Clean out my closet (ok, you know I'm too practical not to throw in at least one boring thing)

I woke up fairly early this morning with some side pain (right where the shingles acted up a few months ago...Dammit!) I decided to just stay home today and take it easy (I've been going a lot lately). Instead, I went to another movie with my sister-in-law Vickie. We saw 27 Dresses. A typical chick flick. I hardly ever go to the movies, then I go twice in one weekend. What' up with that? I'm just living on the wild side.

I just got an e-mail from Sheila in San Francisco today and it appears that XL-184"a drug that I'll refer to as Tarceva 2" has been released for a trial. I don't know if it's available in Seattle yet, but I know it's out there and I'm signing up. I'm going to attach a little portion of the e-mail. This is great news.
SAN FRANCISCO – Jan. 7, 2008 – Patients with non-small cell lung cancer who have had progressive disease while on a regimen containing erlotinib (Tarceva®) may be eligible for a new clinical trial using a new drug in combination with erlotinib.

The new drug, called XL 184 by the maker, Exelixis, Inc., disrupts cell proteins involved in the same cell division signaling network that Tarceva acts on, but it acts against different proteins. XL 184 targets proteins MET, RET, and VEGFR (vascular endothelial growth factor receptor). Tarceva primarily acts on EGFR (epidermal growth factor receptor). All these proteins are involved in telling the cell to divide, and are mutated in cancer resulting in the cell receiving a continuous signal to divide.

While Tarceva has been shown effective in a variety of cancers, tumors ultimately develop resistance to the drug, diminishing its effectiveness. The hope is that modifying these additional proteins will break down that resistance to Tarceva and result in longer-lasting effectiveness.

The clinical trial announced today is a very early test of the new drug, called a phase 1-2 trial, which seeks to determine the highest safe dose before it can be tested for effectiveness. The primary endpoint of the phase 2 part of the study is overall response rate, meaning how many people's cancer is slowed or halted following treatment. Secondary endpoints include looking at how long the cancer progression is slowed or halted (progression-free survival), and whether patients live longer overall.

I know this sounds like a bunch of clinical stuff but when I read it, it made me very happy. I'll keep you posted if I get in on the trial....

Love to you all,
Dor



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Give more than I take"..

In my eyes, that is you. You've given your readers hope, humor, education, and so much more. You are the "Giver" of love to us. What lucky people we are to read your thoughts each day. Blessings to you!