Sunday, November 11, 2007

Good Morning World

Have you ever just been so busy enjoying life that you forget about everything else? We've been trying to do that for the past few days...and I think it's working. I have so much to share about this adventure (and lots of photos)

The "Simply the Best, Lung Cancer Gala II" was spectacular. We met so many wonderful people. Influential people. People who are working on a cure. Ones with incredible humor and laughter surrounding them. The generosity of these folks will certainly help the cause. The 2 day Summit contained some of the brightest and best doctors and researchers working together to eradicate lung cancer. It's assuring to know that it's being viewed as an epidemic.

As usual, Bonnie, Tony and the kids were fabulous. They really do treat us like family. My guess is, they're like this with everyone they meet but while we're with them, we feel very special. Not only is their family incredible, but their friends are wonderful too. Then there is Sheila (the world's best personal assistant), words can't describe her. Let's just say, she knows our love for her is immeasurable.

I can't tell you how many people came up to us and said "oh, I read the blog all the time. I feel like I know your family". To all of you, thanks for making us feel like we're making a difference. I met a fellow lung cancer patient and her husband, who learned about Bonnie from me. We've been e-mailing each other for close to a year, so it was great to meet her in person. She lives in the Midwest. Keep doing what you're doing Denise...you looked fabulous.

At the Gala, special awards were given. One of the awards was something Bonnie made up. It was called the "Unsung Hero" award. She gave this award to the survivors in the audience who are ordinary people doing extraordinary things. I received a beautiful bracelet she had designed, with "A Breath Away" inscribed on it. When we arrived at the Grand Ballroom at the Fairmont hotel, we were greeted with displays of survivors. It was a powerful message...This is why we were all at the event.

Our table of 10 consisted of our family, including Megan, Nancy Lee Grahn (from General Hospital), her daughter Kate, Michelle Stafford (from Young and the Restless) and Dr. Adler (an oncologist and his daughter from the San Francisco area). We were honored to be there. We danced, laughed, cried, visited and were given some new hope where we often find there is none.

Saturday afternoon, our family, Nancy, Kate and Michelle, went to Fisherman's Wharf for soup in sourdough bread bowls. We sat among these beautiful famous women who I'm sure had plenty of other things they could be doing, but instead chose to eat lunch with us on the pier. The rest of our day was just lazy until we celebrated Tony's birthday. These people don't play around when it comes to celebrations.

Rick has been feeling great, Amy still has a bit of a cold and is not feeling like herself yet, and my cough is getting worse by the day. I'm going to give Dr. Eaton a call on Tuesday morning before we head down for Rick's chemo to see if he can listen to my chest. I probably just have what the rest of the world has right now. A chest cold. I just know I can't mess around with it.

Amy and Angie left for the airport around 5:00 this morning. Jake, Megan, Rick and I don't leave until this evening, so we're going to explore San Francisco a little deeper today. I'd better put this computer away and rest a little more before it's time to pack up and head back to the "real world".

I want to give a special thanks to everyone who gave to this amazing organization. I feel like the Schmitt family is always asking for your help for something...but please know, the things we feel passionate about are things that will hopefully change the world.

Love you more than all the pasta in Italy (We had Italian food last night...yum)

Dreaming Big,
Doreen




No comments: