Monday, August 06, 2007

Concert, Blue Angels, Chemo...


Since I haven't written since Saturday, here's what's been happening:

The Martina McBride concert was really nice. We "may" have snuck over the divider in the stands so we could sit in the comfy padded chairs, oops, I mean... No one was sitting in them, and we thought?????Maybe we should warm them up. We waited and waited, but no one ever came. I guess we got their seats ready for nothing. (Oh, and our butts felt better after the show was over). I really wanted to hear Martina sing "In my daughter's eyes". She sang everything but that. It was ok though, because Amy sent me a you-tube video of her singing it after we got home.

Pam made me promise that I would go see the Blue Angels with her in Seattle yesterday. In her words "I'll pick you up, we'll go watch the show, then come straight home, I know we both have lots to do". Problem #1. You have to leave very early, because they close the floating bridge down. We got there around 12:15. The show started at 1:30. Problem #2. When the amazing show was over, we got in Pam's car and took the "special route" a teenager told us about. Problem #3 We moved about 2 miles in one and a half hours going this special way. Problem #4 I told Pam about a recipe I tried last week over in Spokane and it sounded really good to her so we had to stop at a grocery store on the way home to pick up the ingredients. We arrived back in Stanwood around 6:00pm. Truth is, it was an amazing show. The last time I saw them, I was a little girl and I probably didn't appreciate it as much.

Today was chemo day for Rick (and also radiation day for Pam). While Pam was in having her boob put on the rotisserie, and Rick was having blood drawn, I was visiting with some of the craziest ladies I've seen at Cancer Care (besides me and my friends). Cindy (our newest friend) was having radiation for cervical cancer, then upstairs for chemo. She too. had an amazing group of friends with her. I think I saw 10 different people throughout the day who had stopped by to give her their love. Long story short, we got tickets to see Young Frankenstein at the Paramount (compliments of Cancer Care Alliance....and our new friends also got tickets so we're hoping to meet up with them again on Thursday). It is a small world. Just about the time we think cancer "got us", we realize it has "given" us so much more.

I'm going back to work tomorrow. My summer is over. Who would have thought that I would still be working, laughing, living? Oh, of course we all knew it. Doreen's not a quitter. Unless it's a marathon, too much dessert or Fear Factor and I have to get in a tub with rats.

The athletic department is going through a few changes again this year. I think we'll do just fine, but anytime you have change ~ there is a little more work involved. I'm looking forward to getting back into a routine.

As I watched Rick while he was sleeping during chemo today, I came across this paragraph in a book I was reading and I'd like to share it with you. I can relate to this and I'm sure many of you will too.

"When you have been with someone for so many years, they become the glove compartment map that you've warn dog-eared and white-creased, the trail you recognize so well you could draw it by heart and for this very reason keep it with you on journeys at all times. And yet, when you least expect it, one day you open your eyes and there is an unfamiliar turnoff, a vantage point that wasn't there before, and you have to stop and wonder if maybe this landmark isn't new at all, but rather something you have missed all along."

On that note,
Dream Big and eat popcorn at the movies~
Doreen

1 comment:

Dave in MT said...

Young Frankenstein is pretty good, but don't forget Mel Brooks' all time classic "Blazing Saddles." A must-see for diversity training! :)