Saturday, August 04, 2007

Parade Day


Let me tell you how the morning started out....

We arrived at the check in point at 9:30ish. I had to say what "group" I was with and I mumbled "the woman of the year group". So, after that bit of embarrassing chit chat & congratulations,, they sent me back to the line up to pick up my sign. We all know that most people spell SCHMITT the wrong way...SCHMIDT. But today was hilarious, the sign said Doreen SHMIDT, Stanwood Camano Woman of the Year. When I got the sign everyone around said,"hey you spelled her name wrong". The guy felt really bad, but I said it was fine. I know who I am. Being that I am woman of the year, I went over to Rick's office (which wasn't far from where were were parked) made two SCHMITT signs and taped them over the misspelled name. Everything turned out fine. Being Woman of the Year sometimes requires special talents...

I am humbled by even being called Woman of the Year. I'm sure it was by default, but that's not important. What's important was while I was riding in the Corvette through town today, I was gently reminded why I love life. My community, family and friends made this day extra special. All the congrats, well wishes, and kisses that were blown to me were overwhelming. I even cried a couple of times. Once, when my son ran out to the car with a bouquet of sunflowers then again when I saw a friend whom I hadn't seen in 10 years. Ok, I know...I cry all the time, but I thought I could keep it together during the parade.

After the parade, we all went to the Stanwood Camano Fair. It's now almost 5:00 and I'm getting ready to head out again to the Martina McBride concert. The American Cancer Society gave us tickets and I'm really excited to go. I'll try to write more when I get home tonight.

Love you more than all the waves I handed out today.

Dreaming Big,
Dor

No comments: