Friday, July 06, 2007

Look what I found!


I said over a month ago that I would post the speech I said at Relay for Life and tonight I found it while cleaning up the office.

Let me give you a little low down ~ The theme for this year's relay was "Field of Dreams"...so as you can imagine, I spoke about baseball.

I've recently discovered that Life is a lot like the game of baseball. Most of the time when we get up to bat, we get on base and eventually make it home. Sometimes we're lucky enough to hit a double, a home run or even a grand slam. But, every once in a while we're thrown a curve ball, or get caught stealing a base and we're thrown out. Those are the times when we take it for granted that we'll get around the bases and end up at home again without any problems.

14 months ago I was caught off base. I was thrown that inside fast ball. I had been up to bat, got on base, assumed I'd make it home like always. So I stopped paying attention to the signals. That's when IT, cancer caught me off base. And I was out. Just like that! Cancer is a lot like a double play. Not only does it get you out, but it also takes out those around you. And, the inning is over before you know it.

The theme for this year's Relay for Life is Field of Dreams. So, who better than, ME, the world's biggest dreamer to give our opening pep talk? If you build it, they will come. Tonight proves it. You are all part of the biggest game of our life, and it looks like we've sold out. With over 70 teams and well over our goal of $100,000 dollars raised (it ended up being $165,000+), I'm betting my money on you. (I think I'd better rephrase that...because that's what got Pete Rose in trouble) I would however, chose any of you to be on my TEAM.

Let me explain what I know about the game of cancer. Cancer let's us get up to the plate. We take a few swings at the ball, but it doesn't feel right. Something just isn't right. Everyone watching us knows that we just aren't playing "our best game". Eventually we get hit by a pitch and head down to 1st base.

First base is where we go to our doctor or "coach" and tell him or her our our symptoms. Generally, the doc will say, you're young and healthy, I'm sure there's nothing to worry about. We'll send you around the bases with no problem. Sometimes however, they just run a few tests (before they put us back in the game). Then they find it. The big C. Cancer. The opponent. This is that opponent you've heard about many times but never wanted to meet. You may have watched a friend or loved one play against them and it probably wasn't a pretty game. That cancer team is tough. But, you're you're tougher, so you head on over to 2nd base.

Now, second base is where we meet with our oncologist (team manager), and our teammates who will come up with a "new game plan". They want to see us get around those bases and head for home. That's the object of the game. So they call time, throw us a few signals and advance us over to 3rd base. I guess one of the reasons I've always like baseball is because it takes teamwork to succeed. There is no better team than that team of doctors, family and friends who will be in your dugout with you every single day (even when there is a rain out).

For any of you who've ever played baseball, you know you never want to be left at 3rd base. This is where you can see home plate very clearly. You're only 90 feet from winning the game. With cancer however, third base is where we get our treatment. For some, the treatment alone gets them thrown out on third almost immediately. For others, they can stand on 3rd base looking at home plate for months or years and then still get thrown out at home. For many, they have surgery, chemo, radiation, and steal home without ever looking back. They're SAFE. But, they always think about the next time they have to get up to bat. As a cancer survivor each scan, blood test, exam, feels like you're getting up to bat with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th and bases are loaded. Every time you play this team, you hope you'll be the stronger one.

I want you to think of the money you've raised this year as your ticket to the World Series. You'll see 2 tough teams battling it out. Cancer vs. US. Someone has to be the winner. With money, comes research, awareness, treatment and cures. Let's help send cancer back to the minor leagues. This game might go into extra innings but let me assure you, I'm staying until the last pitch is thrown and the fat lady sings. And...I don't know about you, but I don't hear any music.

Now let's get out there and play ball!

Ok, that's it. What was amazing about writing this is that we were at Desert Aire and I woke up in the middle of the night and typed it on my laptop. When I woke up in the morning I still liked it enough to share with all of you. Hope you enjoyed it.

Tonight we went out for burgers with my parents, Angie and Jake (it's Military weekend for Amy so she couldn't be with us) and had a nice little visit. We played darts, well... Jake played darts and I attempted to kill the people at the table next to the dartboard. I never claimed to be an athlete. Just an Athletic Secretary.

Love you more than all the sunscreen used this past week in Washington. (Yes, we do have sunshine every once in a while)

Dreaming Big~
Dor

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another awesome family pic oozing love :)