Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Scary Night (with good news attached)


Last night we felt the first real signs of what chemo can do. In the middle of the night, Rick's body went into tremor mode for 3 straight hours. (Not like the shakes, more like an earthquake) He felt like he was on fire, but he had no fever. We got out our handy dandy chemo guide and sure enough, it was a side effect. So, we laid on the bed and did lamaze breathing until he finally went to sleep. I of course, couldn't fall to sleep then because I was petrified. Rick woke up this morning feeling better (no shaking) but he is extremely exhausted. I called the oncologist and they had me go get a glass thermometer (I had been using a digital one) to make sure he didn't really have a fever. Those side effects can also be a sign of a blood infection. Thank God, his temp is 98.5 So now, we're going to rest and take his temp every 4 hours through the night just to be sure. We have been so spoiled with our treatments. I feel great (a little tired today), no rashes, no sickness. Rick hasn't lost his hair, no vomiting, or any of the other major side effects. He's fatigued a little more than normal but other than that, we really have just been ourselves.

The good news (besides the fact that Rick has not developed a bad infection) is that his CEA count is now at 9.8. Can you believe this? We were amazed when the nurse told us this morning. Now, lets just get him feeling like his old self again.

I'm signing off now so I can take a nap. I'll write more tonight if I get a chance.

One little story before I go...our town lost power for a few hours this morning because GEESE flew into the power lines. No joke. Watch the news. "Can you say "cooked goose"?

Dream Big,
Dor

No comments: