Monday, June 05, 2006

The Reason



For the past 6 weeks I've played this diagnosis over and over in my head. I've tried not to do the "Why Me?" approach. I've tried to keep a positive and upbeat attitude about my future. I've done my best to appreciate EVERYTHING at EVERY MOMENT of EVERYDAY. It is now 4:30 in the afternoon and I just woke up. Literally. I know now why it was me. It takes someone we know and love to be inflicted with something of this magnitude for us to get serious about awareness and a cure. And you my friends and family GOT SERIOUS! Between the 2 Doreen's Dream Teams and Doreen's Dandies (my all male support staff) we rasied over $22,000 in just 3 short weeks for research, support and aid for cancer patients.I was so moved by how many people stayed the duration of those grueling 18 hours. Many of you walked at least 26 miles ( a marathon) for the cause. My 73 year old dad walked off and on all 18 hours (though I'm not sure if he's doing any walking today), my daughters and son gave me a million reasons never to give up, my sister-in laws, aunts, uncles, cousins and niece (aka auntie's girl), friends and my other "daughters" walked through blisters, pulled groins, sore feet, rain, loud music, and determination without a whine and without much sleep, my amazing husband proved that he would walk to the ends of the earth for me (I would do the same for you honey, if I could). I've never been hugged and kissed and loved more than I was these past few days. I think "Dream Big" must have been played 10 times over the speaker system by the D.J but the most special version I heard was the one played by my "girls" Alicia Aufai and Julie Baker on their guitars around our "campsite".This event moved me like no other. I thought I was done "crying about cancer". I thought I just wanted to "live". But truthfully, I'm scared. I'm mad. I'm determined. But mostly, I'm Proud. Proud to have all of you (whether you were there participating, cheering us on, sending well wishes or donated to our cause) on MY TEAM. You are MY INSPIRATION. MY REASON.

Team Awards given by the American Cancer Society at the Stanwood Relay for Life 2006:

Most Money Raised - Doreen's Dream Team One
Most Laps Walked by Anyone - Rick Schmitt - 132 laps (33 miles)
Most Money Collected by a Male - Rick Schmitt - $1,525
Most Spirited Team - Doreen's Dandies (they also got the best costume award)

All my love and admiration,
Doreen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Talk about proud! I'm proud to know the Schmitt family.
I'm ready for next year's Relay For Life. My goal is to not only raise more money but also to hug every one of the remarkable people I meet there in the stadium.
Julie and Alisha, What are you going to play for us next time?
Thanks for being our team captain, Amy! No more trips to the ER, okay?
Rick, You're a stud but I think Molly and Crystal might try to take away you're title next time.
Reener, You're going to be wearing that button that says, "Cancer Sucks" when you're old and senile.
Love to All!