Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The Beginning of Something New


Well, 47 years have come and gone for Mom. It's time to move on to something bigger and better. Although the Schmitt family has faced some tough times in the past month and a half, we have also faced some very inspirational moments. I don't cry nearly as much these days as I use to. It's not that I'm not sad, it's just that I have a sense of peace about me. I don't ask why anymore. I don't get frustrated or look on-line for some type of miracle cure to save my mom. I truly believe she will be in a good place from this day forward. She is strong mentally. She is as strong emotionally as anyone could possibly be in this type of situation. I'm not sure what it is I was hoping to save her from. Although it's difficult to find something positive about my mom getting lung cancer.... you know... as hard as I try I can't finish this sentence. There is NOTHING positive about my mom getting lung cancer. Let's try that sentence again.... Although I would never wish to see my mom ill or in pain, I have to admit that I am glad she will get the opportunity to hear stories of how she has touched other people's lives. Everyday I hear stories about how influential my mom had been in shaping someone's life. I am honored by that. Imagine what it was like to have her on a full-time basis. I know now, more than ever, how truly blessed my life has been. I have parents who love each other more than any two people I know. I have a dad who would gladly trade lungs with those of his soulmate. I have a mom who loves everyone as though they are her own children. So, 47 years have come and gone, but I believe her best years are ahead of her. She has lots of things left on that "To Do" list, a family to love, a cure to search for, and a community to strenghten. Mom, Best Wishes for a happy, healthy year. You are loved.

All of my love-
Amy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I look so forward everyday to read updates and see pictures! It's sad that it takes life threatening situations and illnesses for us to appreciate the small things and to put everything that is important in perspective. It is such a good reminder for all of us everyday to slow down and be thankful for everything we do have! Doreen you are a huge inspiration to all of us. Thank you for allowing us to fight the battle with you!!!

Love,
Allison