Friday, February 20, 2009

No chemo for me today!

Chemo didn't go as planned today.  My blood work showed that my white count was very high (meaning I had an infection brewing) and while I was at Seattle Cancer Care, my temperature kept rising.  Before they would let me have my chemo, my doctor sent me downstairs to get a chest x-ray to see if anything looked suspicious.  Much to my dismay, it appears I have aspiration pneumonia.  So,  they put me on a very strong antibiotic, gave me some directions about how to sleep and eat and drink, then sent me home to rest all weekend.   Amy was going to fire Shelley from being my chemo buddy (since we didn't get the job done) but she changed her mind since Shelley and I had so much fun.

My friends Diana and Kelly from Freeland met us at Seattle Cancer Care today.  Diana is nearing 3 years on Tarceva.  I guess they'll put her photo on the bottle now that she's doing so well.  It's so great to spend time with her.   It's not hard to connect with someone who shares your diagnosis and fight to life.  

I heard from some of my blog buddies today that I don't tell you often enough about how Rick is doing.  Don't you know...I'm the wife...it's suppose to be all about me :)  In all seriousness, I share everything with you about my life because I'm an open book.  Rick on the other hand is like a diary with a lock on it.  I tell you the stuff he's ok with, but for instance if he had diarrhea everyday, I wouldn't be able to tell you that.  I can tell you that he's doing very well.  He goes to work everyday (a little late...but gets his job done), he still has a rash on his face and torso, his counts are getting better, he has some fatigue and he has a little bit of fuzz on his head where his dark brown hair used to be.  

I'm going to get my jammies on and go to bed early.  I really want to kick this infection.  I've got things to do, places to go and people to see.

I'll keep you posted on Life at the Schmitt's!

Dreaming with a little fever,

P.S.  Cecilia, I would love to talk to you again.  Please send me an e-mail at dreambig@wavecable.com    Thanks!
Dor

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It hurts my feeling to see you two sick like this. Not one day goes by that I don't think, pray, and hope for you two!

Dreaming.... Bigger Than The Sky