Monday, November 10, 2008

Snap...Crackle... Pop

We were very lucky, for a very long time when it came to mom's treatment. She took one chemo pill a day. Granted, the pill caused reactions in her body... which in-turn led to her taking 14 additional, non-cancer pills a day... but she took 1 chemo pill a day, nonetheless. This new chemo drip is much harder on her body.

I stopped by mom and dad's house tonight to check on mom and watch Monday Night Football with dad. Mom was extremely fatigued. She was asleep on the couch when I got there and remained that way most of the evening. The phone kept ringing and dad was putting wood in the fire right next to her but she never even budged. She was definately in la-la land. Toward the end of the evening she was waking up so I cuddled with her on the couch for a while. As soon as I got close to her I noticed a very distinct sound. Her lungs sound like Rice Krispies that just had milk poured on them. With each breath I heard snap, crackle, pop. We joked about it at first but when it doesn't stop, and she is clearly unable to take a normal breath, it's hard to joke about it. She thinks the "change" is due to the new chemo working. I tell myself she is right, just to make the sound more tolerable... for both of us.

Like I said, she slept most of the night but her spirits were up when she was awake. She said she wasn't in pain and she didn't feel sick. My dad looked good tonight and everyone ate a good meal (thanks Grandma). May tomorrow bring us a sunny forecast and a bit more energy.

Sweet Dreams-
Amy

No comments: