Wednesday, November 05, 2008

The Calm after the Storm

Hi everyone. It's Doreen. Apparently, yesterday didn't go as planned, but today is much better. I'm feeling well. No headache. No trembling. No vivid memory of what happened last night (thank goodness). I'm still in Seattle awaiting a few more blood tests and I have to show my oncologists office that I'm alive and well. They've called a few times this morning and they are having a hard time believing that I am the same person who was in the hospital bed yesterday. Because of the headache, tremors, and abnormal EKG last night, they need as much evidence as they can gather to assure I'm ok to be able to stay on the trial.

My assessment of yesterday is this: I was anxious about the day. My husband was down the hall also having chemo. Once my chemo cocktail was done, I felt fine. I got out of bed, walked the halls, visited Rick...then had a meltdown. I think my body and mind were so thrilled that we made it through the day, that they just let go. Hence, the headache and my other out of body experiences. Today is a new day!

In all seriousness (which I rarely am), I don't know how I'll ever thank my amazing family and friends. I think last night was much harder for them than it was for me. I hardly remember a thing (except that the chemo made my pee purple). Amy and Cathy were our little angels. All day long they went from one appointment to another with us and never complained. I also feel blessed with our doctors and nurses. We really do have a TEAM of people fighting for us. Thanks to all of you.

In an e-mail I got this morning from a friend, he offered the best advice I've heard in a long time.
It went like this: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, Just pee on it and walk away.

Dreaming Big,
Doreen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

we know you are just keeping everyone on thier toes, alittle extra tlc is a good thing, enjoy it,

KCina said...

Love the advice from your friend...I'll now think of that quote and it'll make me laugh every time...laughter is the best medicine!

Seriously, glad that you are feeling better today and able to blog about it.

Dreaming & peeing big for you guys!!!

~ Kathy ;-)

Anonymous said...

Funny, I've never been sicker than when I took anti-nausea medication.

Hoping today is wonderful, for both you and Rick!!