Wednesday, September 17, 2008

So far, so good

I haven't been sleeping well lately (probably just a little nervous for Rick's treatment) so once we got home and I knew he was feeling ok, I laid on the bed for just a"few minutes" and I just woke up at 9:00pm. This family of mine needs to learn to wake me when I fall asleep in the middle of the day like that. I'm leaving for the ACS Summit tomorrow in Nevada, I'm not done packing, I hadn't written a blog, I have dishes to do...

Rick got his 2nd batch of clinical trial chemo today. Dr. Whiting said it was 33 times stronger than the first batch he was given. Although that seemed scary, he also said that people have been handling it well so far. Today Megan joined Rick and I for a day in the "Life of your in-laws". After my doctor's appointment (that went ok...just watching to make sure the cough doesn't turn into the first bronchial infection of the year) Megan picked me up at Seattle Cancer Care and we went to the UW to get Rick after his pet scan. Then, it was back to SCCA for an EKG, blood work, Dr. visit for Rick then his infusion. Megan had never been to an appointment with us and I think it helped her understand why we have so much confidence in our doctors and their staff. I think it was good appointment for all of us today. :) Thanks, Meg

Having a full day of scans, tests, etc....then the infusion is very wearing on us. I'm glad they are able to accommodate us so we only have to make one trip to Seattle, however, it takes me 4 days to recuperate from it.

My doctor's visit today was mostly to show them the size of tears that fall out of my eye sockets when I get sad. Ok, not really, but I felt like that's where it was going. I saw Dr. Anderson (Dr. Eaton's associate) and she helped me let go of all the anxiety, and survivor guilt and sadness I'd been holding in. Oh, it was a pretty sight. I don't know if I've ever mentioned this, but I am an UGLY crier. Blotchy face and neck, runny nose, snorty noises....No wonder Rick loves me. Who couldn't love that? I'm scheduled for a scan next month. No new symptoms so I expect to hear a little more of the same thing....Stable.

I really do need to get off this computer and finish getting ready for my big excursion to Nevada. We leave tomorrow around noon and the way I'm lacking could be that time before I ever get up. :)

Dreaming Big,


Heather said...

Just getting ready to leave for the airport for Reno. Hope I have a chance to say hello to you when we are there. Fly safe!

Cammy said...

Thinking about both of you today. You both are amazing people. Should see Drew these days....huge boy. Waring size nine shoes as of last week. Hugs to you both.

Heather said...

It was so great meeting you in Reno. I am so proud of you and your team for your AWESOME fundraising! Congratulations for being recognized.
I'd love to send you a Relay Like A Rockstar! T-shirt ... since in my book (and the rest of your supporters) you are a Rockstar!
Please let me know what size you would be most comfortable in and email me your address.
You can email me at:
Again, congratulations for a Relay season well done!

Anonymous said...

It was so good to finally meet you in Reno. I hope yoou had a fun and exciting time, I did. I know you did a awesome jon fund raising, But Wow Alaska 336,000! total amazing! We are pumped and excited for next year, Thanks for the advice on the 'bead radation I will run it by him next week,. Thanks Donna Anderson