Saturday, October 27, 2007

Relay University

Today was a very valuable day in our cancer world. We went to a conference called Relay University where we learned how to run a successful event. It's hard to walk away from a seminar like this and not be motivated to get out there and change the world.

We met some amazing people with stories that will forever be in my heart. I was also a guest speaker (I didn't tell many people before hand...I get too excited and I want to try my speech out on everyone and then it's no fun at the event) and although I thought I might cry when I got to a certain part of the speech, in fact cried throughout the whole thing. I'm sure I looked beautiful...snotty nose and all :)

I want to share a funny little story that happened this morning at our first breakout session. We were learning how to take our Relay for Life to a higher level...you know how to get really motivated, never take no for an answer...stuff like that. Amy proceeded to sell candy that was on our tables (originally meant to be table decorations/snacks). She said she was raising money for Stanwood Relay and would like people to donate (what she apparently forgot was these people were also trying to raise money). Before she left this meeting she had a bag filled with more than $75 just from asking for their help. Before she left the conference this afternoon her bag had about $150 in it. Everyone loved her enthusiasm and were happy to give to her cause.

I'm home now, watching the Red Sox trying to win game number 3 (in a row). My brain is aching a little from all the crying I did today so I'm going to call it a night and go to bed early. Thank you for supporting whatever our cause is at the moment. Whether it's sending me to the Ellen show, supporting the Bonnie J. Addario Lung Cancer Foundation, or donating to Relay for Life, I can always count on our many friends and family to come through. We are blessed!

Dreaming Big,
Dor

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Amy, thanks for the idea! Our Portland Relay U is this weekend and I just might have to steal your idea! :)
Continued prayers and good thoughts to you and your family!
Love from Oregon,
Karen Jones