Monday, April 23, 2007

Friends




Tonight was not a good night for me. For some reason my mind wouldn't turn off. I decided to sit on my couch and watch TV. It didn't take long before I remembered why I rarely turn on the television. My mind continued to wander. I thought about the stress I have at work, the sadness I experienced yesterday at the funeral, the friend who let me down, etc. and I actually cried for a few minutes. I'm not sure what had gotten into me but it was one of those moments that I haven't had in a while. Just as I reached for a Kleenex and buried my head into my pillow, my cell phone beeped with a text message. The message was from my dear friend Jessi in Virginia. All it said was, "I'm thinking about you. I hope you had a great day." I smiled.

The past year has been overwhelming at times. I've had some bad moments when I find myself reaching for a Kleenex... or better yet a hug... but there have been just as many overwhelming "happy" moments. Whether good or bad... overwhelming moments are extremely draining. Its in these moments of weakness when friends... real friends... come thru. Although Jessi didn't know that she was going to send that message and help me snap out of an extremely sad moment, the fact is, she did.

Had you asked me two or three years ago who my best friend was I would have been quick to throw out a few names. Sadly, those are not the same names I would tell you if asked today. It's not that we don't get along, it's just that troubled times bring out the true friends. There are a few people who have certainly proved that they care enough to be there in bad times as well as the good times. Real friends are the people who would get in the car and come to you at any hour if you asked for a hug.... regardless of what time they have to wake up the next morning. They are the ones who stick by your side even when you do something stupid... yet again. They don't judge you. They might not call you all the time, but whenever you talk you can pick up where you left off without that awkward silence. I have learned so much about what a friend truly is. I would take a handful of people I know I can count on over a large group of people who are there for me when it's convenient.

I try to find something positive in every situation. Some days and some situations are much easier to find that ray of sunshine. Other days and other situations it's a struggle. Over time I've learned that a good friend doesn't come along very often. I recently opened a fortune cookie that said, "What's new is not valuable... and what's valuable is not new." At first I thought nothing of it, but now I think it is referring to friends. I'm grateful to have that handful whom I hold close to my heart.

This time it just happened to be you Jess.... and for that, I thank you.

Amy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are plenty of us who care more about you than you know.

Love you.

Anonymous said...

Always happy to make someone smile as many of those do when I'm in need. ;-) Love it....