Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving Day 2006


I just read Amy's words and I couldn't agree more. We are a very thankful family.. this year more than ever.

I was in the kitchen this morning doing one of the things I love to do the most...cooking. Rick was reading up on his turkey frying guide. Jake was doing the dishes as I made them dirty. We were listening to music. And it hit me. I love this holiday. I love the smells. I love knowing that the paper will be huge and we can plan out our crazy shopping morning. I love how my family tricks me to look the other way so they can sneak some stuffing when I'm facing the other way. I also love how we stand around the table and say what we're thankful for (I hope the turkey doesn't get cold with all I have to say) As I stood in the kitchen with life happening all around me, I began to cry. Big tears. Happy tears. Sad tears. Tears of courage. Tears of fear. Tears of hope. I don't ever want to think of a holiday as my "potential last one". So, I'm not going to. I'm just going to think of each one as my new favorite. So, when the time comes (many years from now) there will only be laughter, smiles and joy attached to the memories of our last "big holiday".

Be happy, be silly, be kind, be good to yourself, be THANKFUL.

Love you til' the turkeys come home...
Big Dreamer Dor

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As I reflected on all the things I was thankful for on Thanksgiving I have to say you Doreen kept popping up. I am so thankful to God for our special friendship and how He is using you to touch so many lives, mine included but also I am so thankful that you are doing so well under the circumstance. He has blessed us in so many ways this past 7 months and I am so grateful. God Bless you and your family and friend during these special holidays coming up. Love Cathy