Saturday, September 16, 2006

A note from the Party of 5 (The Schmitt Family)

Tonight, the five of us are sitting here together for the first time since the end of July. We've all seen each other, just not all 5 of us at once. It's nice to have Jake home, even if it's only for a day or two. Today, Rick and Doreen joined Jake for the Cougar football game at Quest Field. Angie locked herself in her house with the second season of Grey's Anatomy... trying to get caught up before the new season begins. Amy stayed home and did as little as humanly possible. We all enjoyed ourselves and took advantage of what it was we needed most. Rick and Doreen needed to see their baby, Amy needed to turn off her brain after an emotional day yesterday, and Angie needed many hours of Dr. McDreamy and the gang.

Now a little side note about yesterday. The blog came from deep within the heart and soul. We admire Amy's willingness to say the things that aren't easy to say. They weren't intended to hurt anyone's feelings or point fingers. We don't hate smokers. Though we don't understand why anyone would want to smoke, we do understand that smoking is often a coping mechanism just like overeating or alcohol addiction. It's important that everyone knows how proud we are of friends and family who have quit smoking. Not for my cause, but for their own health and the health of their loved ones.

One thing I (Doreen) would like to mention is that one older woman at the meeting also was a lifelong non-smoker. Though the support group was filled with people who had smoked at one time or another in their life, they were amazing people who are all still fighting the same battle I am. I do understand the concerns of my friends and family however. The the stigma that lung cancer= smoking, is... more times than not, the truth. So, I think the only way we can beat this disease is for people to stop giving their money to the government by way of tobacco tax, and focus our spending on a cure. Ok. I'm done now.

Back to the family talk. The Cougs won, Amy slept until 10:00am, Angie was up at 6:00am to begin the Grey's Anatomy marathon and now we are sitting in the livingroom with Grandma and Grandpa watching college football and making each other laugh.

I (Jake) had a wonderful weekend with my family. It was a little reunion tonight as everyone came over and watched football. I need to have more weekends such as this one. Maybe next time I will bring my girl over with me. Thanks for all of your support, we appreciate it more than you will ever know.

Love,
The Schmitt's

No comments: