Thursday, May 18, 2006

Becoming my mother

I want to share a story with you. Last night a wonderful friend of mine from Alaska called me needing advice. She was frustrated with her mom and they hadn't talked in days. She explained the events leading up to the argument and then told me that she feels guilty fighting with her mom when she knows what I am going through with my mom. After listening to her story for several minutes I proceeded to give her my recommendations on how I would handle the situation and then told her to call me back if she needed more guidance. She said that I had been extremely helpful and that she felt ready to work things out with her mom. After hanging up the phone I layed on my bed and thought about the situation for a while. I quickly realized that I had not given her my advice, I had given her my mom's. I had given her the words of wisdom that my mom had shared with me over the years about how to deal with people and problems. I had become the non-judgmental listener that my mom has always been with me. I taught her how to speak her mind without pointing fingers or putting blame on others. I have become my mother... and there is not another person that I would rather be!

I love you mom,

Angie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is very touching. I have known your mother for many years and she has always been the "go to" person for advice. It is just in her nature. You girls have had a wonderful role model in Dor.

Anonymous said...

Wow....

That is a very touching story!! You are very lucky to have such a role model in your life.. Funny when we look back at the things that seemed at the time of growing up as nothing learned, you later suprise yourselves with GREAT lessons learned!! Your Mom is someone that I have learned a great deal from and has helped me in raising my boys, and I am forever greatful to her for her great insight to life and just living it and being open to listening.. Its taught me to be more open and to always remember that there is always two sides to a story!! and Angie, there isn't a better person to take after or become!!! Love you Angie!! Peg