Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Another good news...bad news...blog


Before I tell you about the good and bad news, let me tell you about the unexpected news... No, I'm not pregnant (I'm missing too many of the parts) but I did get a tattoo. I know what you're thinking???? What was she thinking??? Well I need to tell you a story about it, then you'll understand. About 10 months ago, (after my diagnosis) the kids searched for a symbol that meant "unity" so the 3 of them would get a tattoo to join them together for life (apparently, having the same parents and the same DNA was not enough). They were given many ideas but one design grabbed them instantly. It was a trinity knot. So, beginning with Jacob's upper arm last spring, to Angies foot in early February, to Amy's foot on her birthday all the kids got a trinity knot engraved forever on their bodies. Then about a week ago, Rick was outside cooking steaks (for Amy, Angie & I) and came into the house wearing his jeans and an apron ~ flashing his piece of art on his upper arm like Jake. I thought...you're kidding me. Rick with a tattoo? Is it real? When did you do this? I was shocked and very touched. I realized how united our family really is. So, the pressure was on. Would I crumble at family peer pressure? Of course I would. I invented it. So, tonight...I made an appointment and had a little tattoo put on my foot of the trinity knot (with a little red crown hanging from it). I have to say, it hurt a little, but it took my mind off the shingles for a few minutes (and I think it's really cute...for a tattoo). I know you're all thinking we've gone crazy, but let me tell you what it means and I think you'll understand why we did it.

It is referred to as the endless knot. The symbol eludes to beginnings and endings. In viewing this trinity knot you cannot see a beginning or an ending, therefore we are reminded of the timless nature of our spirit. See? Kindof neat, don't you think? But wait, there's more...Some say this symbol represents an uninterrupted life cycle, warding against sickness or setbacks that might interfere with an otherwise calm and stable life. And let me tell you, it can't hurt to have a tattoo to remind me how precious and timeless life really is.
I'm attaching a photos... Hope you like them.

Now, for the good news. Rick's CEA count (which is a tumor marker for colon cancer) lowered from 58 to 27 (normal is 0 -2). That was the first time it actually moved in the direction we needed it to. He just had his 4th chemo treatment yesterday and seems to be doing really well. Of course, he's walking around with his fanny pack filled with chemo until tomorrow, but he doesn't mind ~ as long as it keeps working. We will know more next week if the tumors are shrinking, but for now, just having the numbers go down gives us great hope.

My shingles are still under the skin so no disgusting sores on the outside, however, the pain is still very intense. People were not kidding when they said "oh, shingles? They really hurt!" A little pain is good for us. It's one less day we have to pinch ourselves to see if we're still alive.

And now for the bad news. My dear red-headed friend, Pam, who I talk about all the time...was diagnosed with breast cancer yesterday. I wasn't around when she heard about it, because I was in Seattle with Rick while he was having his treatment. It was the first time Rick and I both left our cell phones home (so she couldn't call me when she heard the news). I tried calling her to tell her about Rick's good news and she didn't answer. Moments later, I got a call from a mutual friend who told me the news about Pam. I was devastated. Pammy is family to me. She's a rock, and a shoulder, and a best friend. We just gave her a surprise 60th birthday party and one of my gifts to her was a list of "60" reasons why we should be best friends forever....
The list was easy to make, as a matter of fact, I had many more things to say but I could only pick 60. She makes me laugh. Laughs at me when I cry. Helps me in ways she'll never know. Now it's my turn to help her. Pam said she got cancer because she wanted to be just like me and because she wants to walk in the survivor lap at the Relay for Life. I just think she wanted to be part of the "CLUB". It's not a great club to belong to, I say join the Rotary Club or the Red Hat Ladies Club, but the cancer club? Who wants to belong to that one? Please keep Pam in your thoughts and prayers. She (like Rick & I) is surrounded by many people who love her, and like I've said before...if love heals, then we'll be cured. (Oh, she also found out that radiation might make her boob perky so she's thinking about having it done to both boobs..) You've gotta love her!

Dream Big,
Dor

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sure seems to be a club that lets everyone in...makes you wonder how people can talk about cutting research funds when every family I know is affected by cancer.

We do know how important a positive attitude is, and that sure is what this group has! Chin (boobs!) up and forward we go.

Anonymous said...

If I had known that radiation would make my boobs perky, I would have slipped them under the machine while I was having treatment on my neck. Of course, the technician might have wondered what I was trying to do.....

Please tell Pam that I am so sorry to hear about her news, but with good treatment, she will be well & perky in no time.

Love your tatoo! I recently read about an 80something woman who had a tatoo on her shoulder shortly before she died. She left instructions with her family to bury her tatoo side up! Gotta love the humor.

Think of you all everyday and keep you in my constant prayers.

Love, Linda Zimmer