Friday, May 12, 2006

Who needs sleep?



Ok, I realize it is after 1am but really... who needs sleep? I used to think I did but recently I have come to think sleep is over-rated. I'm sure you're wondering what I could possibly have to do at 1am. Well... let me tell you.

Last week I crawled into bed one night with my Rollingstone Magazine and attempted to think about anything other than my mom, cancer, the relay for life, etc. I figured, what could possibly distract me in a Rollingstone Magazine. Within 2 minutes.... there is was. Near the back of the magazine there was a page filled with different cartoon drawings. I immediately noticed the superman picture flying toward me. To be honest I probably would have turned the page and thought nothing more of it until I noticed the picture next to it. It was a person with a crown on their head. A lightbulb went off in my head and a smirk snuck onto my face. I knew what I had to do. My plan was to make mom a magnet for her refrigerator. I cut out the pieces and brought them to the Highschool the following day thinking mom would be working. It wasn't going to be a surprise.... just a little token of my love for the day. Mom wasn't at work, but her friends were. I showed the peanut gallery (aka. Pam, Janeen and Andrea) my idea and before I knew it I had "helpers." They took the pieces from me and assured me they would take care of it.

Mom came home from work a few days ago with an envelope full of "Super Dor" magnets. One for all of the kids and one for her refrigerator. She informed me that all of the ladies in the office had the magnets as well and that everyone loved them. I appreciate everyones help.

So, tonight I was sitting at my computer updating the webpage with Relay for Life info and I started thinking about different fundraisers we could do. I looked over at the magnet of mom and I had an idea. I put the magnet on my scanner and blew it up to a 5X7. Then I printed it out. I figured.... people donate a buck or two all the time to purchase a shamrock or leaf, etc., to put their name on and hang on the wall at a restaurant. Why not donate a buck or two and buy a "Super Dor?" I think I'll make copies and see if anyone is interested in helping us raise money for cancer research by putting their name accross the chest of "Super Dor" and hanging them on the wall of their business. I figure... if "Super Dor" can raise money to fight cancer and we all get to see my mom's smiling face on the wall.... it's a win win situation for everyone. :)

Ok... bedtime.

Amy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHAT A COOL IDEA YOU HAD!! DARLING MAGNET!! STICK WITH IT!!
HUGS FROM THE HEART,
CINDY

Anonymous said...

hey so i just found out about the blog page, but i want to help, and i would like a magnet too please..i move back home from college after the 16th and i want to help and do stuff...Dor is probably the coolest teacher/mom figure/everything that helped me get through high school and i need her to know that im here, and that i know she needs me too!! :-) Soo with that said, basicly i would liek to help, and get a magnet thanks!!

--Alex Jamieson