Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Who knew?


As I'm sure you can imagine... the past two weeks of my life have been very humbling. Our family is extremely close and this has been difficult. I think for my siblings and I, it has always been natural to call mom in the morning to say hi and see what's new. I have always appreciated my parents for being so giving and choosing to play such a supportive role in the Stanwood Community. It is rare to attend a sporting event and not see them in the stands... or keeping score... or selling tickets, etc... even long after we graduated. My mom has an energy about her that radiates to those around her, and a smile that's contagious. Although I love her more than she will ever know, there is no doubt in my mind that MANY people feel the same way. Each day, I am reminded of that more and more.

I was standing in the greeting card isle at the grocery store yesterday and a female walked up to me.... wrapped her arms around my neck... and after hugging me for what seemed like forever, said "I love your mom so much." I didn't even know the girl. I get the same reaction everywhere I go in Stanwood. I appreciate the hugs, kind words, and positive attitudes.

When I set up this website, I thought it would be a good opportunity for the family to keep people in the loop with mom's health issues and possibly take some of the burden off of my parents with the constant phone calls to their house. Mom loves to talk to everyone (surprise, surprise) but I think it's also important for her to rest and have quality time with my dad. I think the webpage has been a success. Many people seem to be reading it on a daily basis. The one thing I have experienced that I didn't expect (although I probably should have) were the touching e-mails I have received after putting my e-mail address at the bottom of the website (I just added mom's new address as well). Yesterday was the best day I've had in terms of tears. It was the first day I didn't cry.... due to sadness. I did cry however when I read a few of the e-mails I have received from people. I am amazed when I read the words people have written about my mom. I knew she was up for "mother-of-the-year" every year.... but I didn't know she received so many votes from other than her three children. I can't tell you how many times I have heard "Dor is like my other mom" in the past two weeks.

I received an e-mail from a childhood friend yesterday who is married with two children of her own. Her e-mail was quite possibly the most touching one I have read so far. She said she grew up watching Angie and I and wishing she had the out-going, funny, energetic mom that we had. She said she always wondered what it would have been like to have that type of woman in her life. She said she learned what type of mom she wanted to be from Dor and has since become that type of role model for her own children. It was touching. When I finally stopped crying... my first thought was "I could probably make a book filled with similar e-mails." I have always known how wonderful my mom is (and I hope I never took that for granted) but it is even more impressive to me now that I realize she shared her love, compassion, and mothering with so many people. She... and probably the rest of us... will never know the impact she has had on others. Although I expect to share many more years with her, she has already accomplished more in her life, and has touched more people than the rest of us could dream of.

I love you mom.

Amy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No words can truly say how one feels about the Schmitt family!!! From Granparents to Dor and Rick, to those most awesome daughters that have done more in their lives then I have ever seen or done in my 22 yrs of life (Jk)(going back in time) who makes me proud with all their accomplishments, to Jake that has always been a true young man, hard worker, great athlete, wonderful friend and a great son to two most awesome people...
I have truly NEVER been blessed or touched by anyone or any family as much as this family!! This kind of family just doesn't happen, Dor and Rick have worked hard for their family and for the community...I do see better days ahead, Love you all.....

Anonymous said...

NO TRUER WORDS EVER SPOKEN,RICK, DOREEN, AMY, ANGIE AND JACOB ARE TRULY AN INSPIRATION TO ALL OF THEIR FRIENDS(HAPPY TO BE ONE OF THEM) AND OUR COMMUNITY. I ADMIRE ALL OF YOU. YOUR STRENGTH AND DETERMINATION WILL PREVAIL.
KEEP YOUR SUNNY SIDE UP!!
LOVE YA,
CIN